Research workshop: Europe’s Crises and Experiences of Leadership
Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies, University of Tartu in cooperation with Baltisch Deutsches Hochschulkontor will be holding a research workshop on the topic of Europe’s crises and experiences of leadership.
The workshop will take place on 5-6 November, 2021
Research workshop on Europe’s Crises and Experiences of Leadership will be held by the Baltisch Deutsches Hochschulkontor and Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies, University of Tartu. The workshop is related to a wider debate on Europe’s security and crises in political sphere and poses questions that lead to visual politics. Keynote speaker Thomas Diez is a professor of Political Science and International Relations at the Institute for Political Science, University of Tübingen. All session will take place in the University of Tartu, first two in the University of Tartu Senat Hall (Ülikooli 18, Tartu) and the third in the university’s Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies (Lossi 36-214, Tartu).
The first panel, named Securitization of Crises will be moderated by Thomas Linsenmaier (University of Tartu), and will bring together the following speakers:
- Thomas Diez, University of Tübingen: The EU and the Securitisation of Climate and Health
- Andrey Makarychev, University of Tartu: Practical Biopolitics of Crisis Management: between Exceptionality and Normalization
The second panel will focus on Baltic Experiences and Perspectives. Thomas Hoffmann (Tallinn University of Technology) will be a discussion moderator. The panel will be run by the following speakers:
- Maris Andzans, Head of “Russia and Eurasia” Master’s study programme at Rīga Stadiņš University: The global pandemic and the Latvian-Russian relations in transition? Geopolitical implications and domestic effects
- Giedrius Česnakas, The Head of the Study Programs of Political Science, The General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy of Lithuania: Europeanization in the period of the crisis: three cases from the Lithuanian public discourse
- Alina Jašina-Schäfer, Federal Institute for Culture and History of the Germans in Eastern Europe (BKGE), Oldenburg: Trans-national Cultural Cooperation in Times of Uncertainty and Change: Creative Potential and Unavoidable Pitfalls
The third panel will be dedicated to Visual Politics of Crises and will be chaired by Olga Bogdanova, University of Tartu.
- Heidi Erbsen, University of Tartu, will be moderating a discussion among the following panelists:
- Maria Zhukova, University Konstanz: On Windmills, Madonnas and Burning Books: Visualizing ‘Corona-crisis’ on RT DE.
- Michael Cole and Alexandra Yatsyk, University of Tartu: The Covid-19 Crisis in Europe: a View from RT
Europe’s Crises and Experiences of Leadership Workshop Programme
Additional information: Fidan Vali, Project Manager, fidan.vali [ät] ut.ee
This project of the Baltic-German University Liaison Office is supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) with funds from the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic Germany