Teaching Modules and Courses
Continuous education / MOOC courses
Online learning and innovative teaching initiatives
A growing number of universities have been engaged in debates on how to advance their digital capabilities in light of the most recent technological developments. The University of Tartu and J. Skytte Institute are no exception to this trend. Various initiatives to advance online learning have been developed at the institute level, which include the exchange of good practices and cooperation possibilities in online learning, the development of MOOCs and e-courses, and the organization of practical workshops in the realm of digital teaching with involvement from external specialists.
Presentations on online learning activities
- Skytte Institute's online portfolio
- Skytte Institute’s online learning - activities overview (2017-2018)
- InnovaEDU network (Nordplus development project, 15.05.19 – 01.10.2020)
- Learn to Te(a)ch seminar series:
- LTS: Unlocking the potential of online education (guest speaker, Tanja de Bie, Project coordinator Online Learning Lab, Leiden University) summary of the results of the seminar
- LTS: Widening the Horizons of New Learning (guest speaker, Mats Cullhed, Educational developer, Unit for Academic Teaching and Learning, Uppsala University
Case studies of flexible learning environment
The idea for "Flexible studio" implementation was motivated by the need to support creation and editing processes of projects and teaching activities conducted by Skytte Institute which contain an e-learning competent. The flexible studio consists of 3 key elements, which help to support the production process of online learning content from start to finish:
- Hardware equipment (cameras, audio equipment, tripods)
- Software programs (video mixers, webinar software solutions)
- Visualizations tools (infographics, etc.)
In order to get acquired with the programs and equipment, several training sessions have been conducted for the teaching and administrative staff of the institute:
- "Informal Training Session: Digital and online learning software programs at Skytte", 03.05.2019.
- “Pop-up info session on new teaching equipment", 16.05.2019.
Visits and exchange with best practices in online learning
Skytte Institute hosted and shared information about its activities with a number of organizations, including representatives from the European External Action Service (EEAS), Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden, University of Westminster, London; as well as presented its e-learning portfolio within the framework of the training directors’ programme of the 18th European Diplomatic Programme "The EU Global Strategy: from Vision to Action" hosted during Estonian presidency of the EU Council.
List of publications related to online and blended learning practices, includes:
- Anna Beitane (2019). Teaching with the MOOC: Opportunities and Good Practices of Teaching European Studies Online. In: Andrey Makarychev and Thomas Krüssmann (eds). Europe in the Caucasus, Caucasus in Europe. Perspectives on the Construction of a Region, European Studies in the Caucasus, Vol.1, Ibidem-Verlag, pp.321-332.