Getting to Tartu
Tartu is situated in Southern Estonia and connects to the world through Tartu Airport, Lennart Meri Airport in Tallinn and Riga Airport in Latvia. The distance between Tallinn, Estonia's capital, and Tartu is 186km, or about 2.5 hours by express bus or car.
- Tartu Airport has flights five times per week to Helsinki (Finnair). The distance between Tartu Airport and the city centre is about 10km.
- Tallinn airport has direct air links to numerous cities. In addition to the nearby Baltic capitals, Riga and Vilnius, there are currently nonstop flights to Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Kiev, Lisbon, London, Moscow, Oslo, Paris, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and Warsaw. Low-cost carriers such as EasyJet and Ryanair also fly to Tallinn.
- You can also reach Tartu easily from Riga airport, about 245km from Tartu. There are several bus connections a day that go directly to/from Riga airport (Luxexpress, Ecolines).
- From Stockholm and Helsinki, there are also ferry connections to Tallinn. From Helsinki there are multiple departures with different companies. The ferry line to Stockholm is overnight.
- For heartier travelers, Estonia can also be reached by bus from major cities in Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine and the Baltic countries.
From Tartu airport to the city centre
- Airport Shuttle Bus: The airport shuttle bus departs about 15 minutes after the plane lands, but also waits for anyone who needs to travel to the city. The shuttle will drop you off at any place in the city and a ticket costs €5. Tickets can be bought in cash or by debit/credit card from the driver. If you purchase a ticket in advance for the return journey to the airport, the shuttle picks you up from any point in Tartu. Otherwise, call the bus company a day the previous day to arrange a pick-up.
- Taxis are located in front of the terminal and cost about €12 to arrive to the city centre.
From Tallinn to Tartu
- By Express bus from Tallinn Airport: The bus departs almost every hour from 07:05 to 21:05. The journey is about 2.5 hours and a single ticket costs €8-12. Tickets can be purchased online and printed out in advance. This is advisable, as buses are often already full when they leave Tallinn’s central coach station. Additionally, there is a machine near the airport bus stop where you can purchase tickets on arrival. It is recommended to purchase these at least 15 minutes before the bus is due to arrive.
- By bus from Tallinn bus station to Tartu: Buses depart almost every 30 minutes from 05:45 until midnight. Ticket prices range from €6-12, tickets can be purchased from the ticket office inside the bus station or from the bus driver. On most inter-city busses discounts are available for passengers under 26 with International Student Card (ISIC). The travel time to Tartu is 2.5 hours. Most buses are equipped with Wi-Fi. Express buses (Lux Express) also have individual entertainment screens.
- From Tallinn Airport to Tallinn Bus station and downtown: If you decide to stay in Tallinn before leaving for Tartu, you can take bus nr 2 to downtown Tallinn. The bus departs from the airport bus stop around every 20 minutes, and a ticket costs €2 (purchasable from the driver). A taxi into town should not cost more than €10-15. Ticket information, timetable and directions.
- From Tallinn Sea Port to Tallinn Bus station: If you arrive by ferry, the easiest way to get to the bus station is to take a taxi. Tram number 2 (in the direction of Ülemiste) or bus number 2 will also take you there (the Autobussijaam bus stop). You can buy a ticket for €2 from the bus driver. Ticket information, and timetable. If you arrive late in the evening, you can spend the night in Tallinn. For more information, see Tallinn in Your Pocket.
- From Tallinn by train: Trains to Tartu leave five times a day and take roughly 2 hours. The train station (Balti jaam) is located just behind the Old Town. You can either take a taxi or use the public transport. From the sea port, take tram number 2 in the direction of Kopli (the Balti jaam stop). If you are at the airport and prefer travelling by train instead of bus, you can catch the Tallinn-Tartu trains from the Ülemiste train stop, which is about a 15-minute walk from the airport terminal. To get to the stop, exit the airport terminal and head down the main highway toward Tallinn. Behind the big shopping centre, you can see the railway tracks and the small train shelter. All trains to and from Tartu stop at Ülemiste. However, from the airport it is much easier to take the bus, as the bus stop is right outside the airport terminal, and it brings you closer to the centre of Tartu.
Getting to the University when you arrive in Tartu
The Tartu bus station is near the city centre, and close to the student dormitories and main University's main building. It is easiest to walk to the centre. Just follow the river bank until you reach the Town Hall square and the Arch Bridge (Kaarsild). To get to the University's main building go behind the Town Hall and turn right. To get to the Raatuse Student Residence go across the river and through the park. If you are arriving by train, the Tartu train station is a little further from the city centre, so it is best to take a taxi to your destination. Buses 7 and 20 will also take you into town. Tickets for €1.50 can be purchased directly from the bus driver.
- See the map with all of UT's buildings. Graduate Student Conference events will be held in buildings 1, 2, 12, 13.